Thursday, March 25, 2010

Boldly going where no Protestant has gone before

... or a former SDA, for that matter!

Last Sunday morning I went out shopping for a new cell phone. On the way back home, out of curiosity, I stopped by the Saint Benedict's Monastery church located at the Saint Benedict Plaza in Sao Paulo city. It is a centuries-old Catholic church maintained by the monks of the Saint Benedict Order. I had heard about their Gregorian choir and the tube organ located inside the cathedral and longed for the chance of hearing the tube being played.

It was the first time that I entered a Catholic building willing to stay for some time. When I entered it, my heart instantly felt at peace. I looked around contemplating the iconic figures of the saints of old, champions of Christendom. A sense of awe, wonder and respect came over me, and I felt like "wow, this is more than simply a symbol!".

Meanwhile at the altar the priest recitated Mass, his Gregorian-like voice echoing along the hallways, proclaiming the saving power of Christ's blood, the people responding in unison. Then the Gregorian choir chanted, and I felt God's presence flooding into me.

When the sermon was over, people turned to each other to bid "Good day", and one lady firmly grasped my hand. It was one of the rarest and sincere handshakes that I have ever got.

I took the subway back home, outrageously feeling more Protestant than ever!

No comments: